Thursday 11 September 2014

Book Review - One Million Lovely Letters


After watching one of Carrie Hope Fletcher's YouTube videos on the channel ItsWayPastMyBedtime, I added the book One Million Lovely Letters to my reading list. It sounded like an intriguing idea which I hadn't ever heard of before, so, trusting Carrie's recommendation, I got round to reading it. 

The author is Jodi Ann Bickley whose life was turned upside down after contracting what her GP at the time thought was meningoencephalitis from a tick bite. This illness severely affected what she could do and made her feel upset quite a bit of the time. 

So, in 2013 she set up onemillionlovelyletters.com. People from all over the world could now email her with their address and why they would like a letter. Jodi would send them a "hug in an envelope" to cheer them up and make them feel loved.

Jodi seems like one of those people who genuinely prefers giving to receiving. When people are asked whether they prefer to give or to receive, most people try to respond 'correctly' with, "Giving, definitely." Even though deep down, they prefer receiving. Yet, Jodi explains in her book how writing the lovely letters gave her as much joy as it did the people who received them. I think it is a beautiful thought that helping others can often give you more pleasure than anything else in the world.

Her book tells the story of her life before and after onemillionlovelyletters.com. It shows how, by small acts of kindness, you can brighten your own day and other's at the same time.

I wanted to give this book a five star review to show how much I appreciated what Jodi was doing after what she had gone through, yet I'm only marking the books on the quality of writing, general concept and whether they would stick in my mind long after I had read them. I can't say that Jodi is the best writer I have ever come across, or that I will always remember her book. What I can promise though, is that I will never forget her remarkable story and even more amazing personality.

I would recommend this book to an age range of 16+, as I think its audience is supposed to be adults, but you don't need to be 18 to read it.

Overall, this book tells an inspiring story and compels its readers to do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment