Thursday 8 January 2015

Short Story - School Bake-Off - Part One

Monday 5th January 2015

Dear Diary,

There’s a competition at school to bake a cake and Susan, a girl in my form, says I should enter. I don’t even really like Susan but it’s not as if I’ve got people clamouring to be my best friend so you’ve just got to take what you can get. I’m not sure about doing it so, I’ll tell you tomorrow what I decide once I’ve spoken to my mum about it.

Best wishes,

Beth

To my diary, (you’re the best!)

You’ll never guess. There’s going to be this amazing competition at school to bake the biggest and best cake you’ve ever seen. Skye and Roxanne both say I should go for it. It’s not as if I needed any persuading; as soon as I heard, I started planning my design. Sprinkles, pink glitter and edible shoes!

All the love in the world … Amber! xxxx

Thursday 8th January 2015

Dear Diary,

My mum says I should join in the bake off and it would be a good experience to put on my sixth form application so I will give it a go. It will take a lot of planning and experimentation, but I will get the perfect cake in the end. Better stop writing so I have time to draw a life size sketch before I get the ingredients.

Best wishes,

Beth

To my diary,

I’m round at Skye’s house painting my nails, practising my steady hand for when I need to place each sprinkle on my cake. Not that I’m worried though, there’s no way I’ll have any competition – the only other person entering is that scrawny girl from the year below. Beth is it? So nothing to worry about there.

Got to go now, about to paint the other hand.

All the love in the world … Amber! xxxx

Friday 9th January 2015

Dear Diary,

Finally! I’ve finished drafting the plan for my cake, it took nine different designs before I got the perfect one, but I’m sure mine will be the best looking there. I’m going out shopping tomorrow for ingredients so I can start experimenting with possible flavours.

Best wishes,

Beth

To my diary,

I’ve had an idea! My cake is going to be themed. It will be based on shopping and I’ll create shoes, make-up and clothes out of icing to put all over it. I’m focusing on the appearance rather than the taste because the main thing about cakes is how they look. No one really cares what they taste like in the end. I couldn’t believe that such a great idea had come out of my head, so I rang up Skye and she said to definitely go ahead and do it. So on Sunday, I’m going to buy ready-made cakes, stack five on top of each other and then decorate them, ready for Monday.

All the love in the world … Amber! xxxx

Sunday 11th January 2015

Dear Diary,

My cake is all done! It looks like a stack of magazines with each issue having a different flavour. There are six in total – chocolate fudge, vanilla ice-cream, lemon sherbet, strawberry cheesecake, black forest gateau and marshmallow surprise. On Monday we have to take in our cakes for judging. The winners will be announced in afternoon assembly. I can’t wait!

Best wishes,

Beth

To my diary,

I have finally finished making the best-looking cake I’ve ever seen! As I said before, there’s five layers, loads of sprinkles and of course, the clothes, shoes and make-up all made out of icing. Now all I have to do is wait until Mrs Ericson stops droning on in assembly so they can give me my prize. There is no doubt in my mind that I will win so, as someone once said, “I’ll see you on the other side!”

All the love in the world … Amber! xxxx

Come back next week to read what happens to Beth and Amber ...

No comments:

Post a Comment